Sunday, May 1, 2011

You Say You Want a Social Media Revolution? (34/365)

Today was a good one. Spent most of the afternoon watching the A's and Sharks (win) at my good friend Casey's birthday BBQ, had a dinner with my whole family (the first with all of us since Katie got back from Italy) and spent a couple hours at my boyfriend's brother's new house. This can be read as "I got to spend the day relaxing with a bunch of my favorite people." That's something that is very important to me, now more than ever because I've been forced to recognize how precious life is recently, but also because it's rare that a large number of the people who I am close to are able to be together at the same time. It made me happy. 


Tonight we saw why social media is truly an amazing phenomenon and has totally changed the landscape of our society. If you're not on board (and you likely are if you're reading blogs, so I'm probably just preaching to the choir), get on before you're left behind. Those of us who are on Twitter found out about the death of Osama Bin Laden a quarter of an hour before television news had anything to report. Information is instant which creates a need for us to be more cautious in what we believe, but also allows for the widespread sharing of ideas and beliefs and the ability to question what we are told, holding those responsible for reporting news more accountable. 

And let us not forget, that this is not simply a victory for our country, but hopefully a step in the direction of a peaceful WORLD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment