Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Photo 9/365

Today we spent the day in Siena, about half an hour from the villa. Siena is a very charming little town with a large piazza in the middle used for horse racing and a medieval bell tower used for bell ringing. We started the day with one of the best meals of my life (although, I've been saying that after every meal here in Italy) made up of what we thought were going to be appetizers and ended up being huge plates of delciousness.

In the middle of the main piazza is the bell tower. My family decided it would be a good idea to climb to the top of said bell tower. I don't mind heights, but if small spaces were a baseball team, let's just say I wouldn't be wearing their foam finger. On the 25-story climb up this bell tower, small spaces were a plenty, but I'm not one to sit at the bottom and wait for everyone else to get down and tell me how awesome it was, so, with a few uncontrolled tears in my eyes (seriously, can't help it around small spaces!) and some shallow breaths, I began the hike. And boy was it worth it. We could see the entire city of Siena from atop that tower.

Steph and I rewarded our climb with gelato from Grom, one of our favorite places, because, well, in Italy gelato is a daily ritual for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment