Monday, January 16, 2012

Mile 1

I do believe I've just learned the importance of setting tangible, concrete goals for myself. I just ran my first mile without stopping to walk since...well, a long time ago and while, it was somewhat physically challenging, I think the issue for me has been the mental challenge. I've attempted to become a runner many times before now, but never with a set goal. In the past the goals have been abstract, such as, "I want to be in better shape" or "I want to get healthier." This time, I have a number and a date and that was what pushed me to get past any thought of, "Well, I know I SAID I wouldn't walk today, but this is getting tiring and a little boring."It's amazing how much of a mental aspect there is to reaching a challenging physical goal.

On a related note, if I'm going to play the part of a half-marathon runner in my head, I'm definitely going to have to look the part with some really sweet new shoes. Any suggestions? I like bright purple.





Follow me on Twitter if you're not already. That's where I'll post a lot of shorter notes about my running exploits (along with a lot of pro sports talk).

5 comments:

  1. Go for it Amanda ... and take BB with you !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! So proud of you! I just got those shoes in gray and pink and love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sporting the Nike Pegasus 28+ in Berry/Orange. Classic me.
    I ran my half in Asics though.

    ReplyDelete